Protect Your Children Online
Published by JamesMarie on Thu, 12/18/2014 - 17:12
Children present unique security risks when they use a computer, and need advice, guidance, and protection. By taking some simple steps, you can reduce security risks to your child.
Children present unique security risks when they use a computer, and need advice, guidance, and protection. Talk to your child and let him or her know you can be approached with questions about behaviors or problems encountered on the computer. Teach your child how to safely use the computer and the Internet. There are many web sites available as resources.
By taking some simple steps below, you can reduce security risks to your child:
- Keep your computer in a central and open location in your home and be aware of other computers your child may be using.
- Discuss and set guidelines and rules for computer use with your child. Post these rules by the computer as a reminder.
- Use the Internet with your child. Familiarize yourself with your child's online activities and maintain a dialogue with your child about what applications they are using.
- Implement parental control tools that are provided by some Internet Service Providers and available for purchase as separate software packages.
- Consider using software that allows you to monitor your child's e-mail and Web traffic.